3/07/2012

Part 3 - Harpers Ferry: Ghost of John Brown

He told me my train would most likely stop on the other track since the cargo train was still sitting silent. I expressed my concern of not being able to get my gear down the stairs, through the tunnel and up the other side. He told me he would stay with me and help. I was so appreciative of his offer - more for the company than help with my luggage. I proceeded to tell him about the man in black. He walked into the restroom and came right back out to tell me there was no one in there. It was then that he told me the station is notoriously haunted, and that he believed everything I told him, as others have had similar experiences. He then told me about John Brown, he was an abolitionist who was murdered at the station. Many believe Mr. Brown has been trying to catch the outbound train ever since. 
I stood silent, digesting all that I heard, seen and felt. My attention shifted when I heard the train whistle in the distance. The bike man graciously picked up my luggage, ran down the stairs, through the tunnel, and up the stairs to a waiting conductor. I was right behind him, thinking that the man in black is missing the train. Just as quickly, I accepted the fact that he was merely visiting, for reasons I may never understand; at least in this lifetime. I wished I had paid more attention to the black cloth hanging on his arm. When we spoke to each other he was so real I could have reached out and touched him. The whole thing was as real as my present position typing this story.  On ‘paranormal overload’, I was so glad to finally get out of there, but it was bittersweet. 
When I boarded the train, I stood in the vestibule with the Conductor to catch my breath. I asked him if he had ever heard of strange stories of the Harpers Ferry Station. He said; ‘Other than it being haunted?.....ha, ha, ha. Why don’t you hang here for a bit. When you’re ready, just step in the car, put your bags to the right. There’s a seat in the back.’.  
When I finally entered the car, I noticed a man in the back starring at me. I ended up sitting across from him. He was making small talk and noticed I was a little shaken up when I boarded. I briefed him on my experience and he replied; ‘It seems you had a run in with ole’ John Brown!’. His name was Edward, an historian who was returning from a research trip to Chicago. We had a wonderful conversation all the way to DC. It never ceases to amaze me how events connect to each other. What are the chances of being seated next to a historian immediately after my experience?  Edward had put my mind at ease.  I now know I experienced the presence of John Brown. Knowing such a ballsy ghost is one of the visitors there, I doubt I will ever choose to wait there alone again. 
Days after my return, the thought of Mr. John Brown lingered. I decided to do more research. When I finally came across a photo of him, it felt as if the photo jumped off the screen toward me. I immediately saw the man in black who walked into the front of the station. He was a younger version of the man in the photo. Coincidence?.....perhaps; but it was a personal experience I will never forget; one of those ‘you had to be there’ moments. One that I wish another living person could have witnessed with me, but apparently that wasn’t supposed to happen.