3/07/2012

Harpers Ferry: Ghost of John Brown


It’s been a long time since I experienced a profound paranormal occurrence while completely alone. That changed on morning in late October 2011. 
After a long visit with family, I arrived at the Harpers Ferry train station in West Virginia to head back north. It was a Thursday morning and a gorgeous one at that. As we were driving through, we had passed camera crews about half mile away from the station. After inquiring, we learned it was a crew filming a documentary about the town. When I was dropped off at the station, I realized I was the only person there, so I stepped outside by the tracks to see if there were any signs of human life in surrounding area. A veil of eeriness draped around me when I discovered there was not a single person in sight. I shrugged it off to appreciate the silence as I took in the beautiful scenery. Past the bridge, the mountains surrounding the valley were waking up to the warmth of the sun. I walked along the linear path between the tracks and the station, imagining what it was like years ago. I caught myself dismissing flashes of gun fire, reminiscent of the wild west, and stuck with the romantic version.
It wasn’t my first visit to this quaint little town soaked in history, or the unmanned, well preserved train station. There’s something mysterious and isolating about that place. One could not help but to fall in love with it. The many times I had visited Harpers Ferry, the man who helped to put the area on the map seemed to have slipped my mind. I was always so caught up in the magic of the town.
Since I my train wasn’t scheduled to arrive for another hour or so, I meandered around the beautifully preserved station while time stood still. I was admiring a collection of old photo’s hanging on the walls depicting the surrounding valley when the station was built. I walked from one room to the next, noticing the echo of my steps while running my fingers along the old wood benches. I couldn’t help but visualize dapper gents tipping their hats to ladies with parasols in hand. For a brief moment I became one of them.
About 45 minutes had passed with nothing to do but wait. I was trying to peek through the bars at the old ticket counter. It was closed for business many years ago. The room behind the counter was hidden by black fabric. A hand painted sign, written in gold script, that reads “Tickets”  had only a few minor scratches and faded spots. I decided to check out the restroom. While I was in there, I heard one of the outside doors open. I then heard the sound of heeled boots clanking across the wood floor. I was glad to finally have some company! Still in the rest room with my hands underneath the running water, the footsteps were getting closer. I then heard the door to the mens restroom, which is adjacent to the women’s room, squeak open then thud shut. I proceeded to the waiting area near the restrooms and phoned the train company to see if the train was running on time. Low and behold, there was at least an hour delay!  About 20 minutes went by. While still in the immediate vicinity of the restrooms, it dawned on me that the person who went in never came out! I noticed my cell phone battery, which was fully charged when I called the train company 20 minutes earlier, was almost dead. 
Continue on ‘Part 2’.........