3/07/2012

Part 2- Harpers Ferry: Ghost of John Brown


Concerned, I went to the door of the mens restroom and I tapped on the door... no response. I then opened the door to be sure whoever was in there didn’t faint, or worse. When I opened the door and looked around, no one was there! I know what I heard. It was clear and real. Whoever entered that restroom could not have exited without me noticing. My mind raced to put the little chain of events in order. At that moment, I knew what was happening. I grabbed my luggage and hightailed it out one of the doors on the track side, refusing to go back into the building. 
I sat on a bench staring at the tracks, which were about 8 feet in front of me, trying to make sense of what just happened. I was getting chilly so I opened the station door to catch some warm air from inside while I stood beneath the door frame. Just then, a man dressed all in black entered through the door directly across from me on the front side of the station. I remember he had some kind of cloth hanging on his left forearm. We acknowledged each others presence. “Do you know a documentary is being filmed in town?” he asked. ‘Yes’ I replied. I asked him if he was going to DC. “Yes. Are you?” he whispered, as he visually scanned the ceiling.  I don’t recall answering him. I just kept looking at his face. He was strange in that he kept looking around, never making eye contact. He was looking at the ceilings and floors while he slowly paced. He walked into the restroom while I remained in the doorway. I thought it odd that he had no luggage, no computer bag, nothing. Suddenly, a cargo train crept by on the track closest to the station (there are only two tracks). The engine must have been a mile up the track before it came to a complete halt. Now I had a wall of train in front of me and still no people. That eerie feeling got heavier. It felt like time was standing still....literally. There was a dead silence all around me; I couldn’t even hear the birds any longer. I kept waiting for the man to exit the restroom. By this time, I was expecting the train in 15 minutes or so. I was trying to figure out how I would haul my huge piece of luggage which was more like a duffle bag on wheels, down the stairs through a short underground tunnel and up the other side before my train took off. The wall of steel that now sat between the other track and myself made it impossible to see another train coming. The landing on the other side was in the woods and too small to wait on, so heading over ahead of time made no sense.  Suddenly, a lone bicyclist peddled up to the bench and dismounted his bike. Still a bit shaken from my earlier experience I remained standing in the doorway, but at this point, it wasn’t just for warmth. I was watching closely for the man in black to exit the restroom. The man on the bike began to talk to me. I must have looked confused because he asked me if I was okay. I asked him if he was real....he chuckled. I then gave him an earful of what had been happening during the past two plus hours. He seemed to be impervious to my story. 
Continue on ‘Part 3’.......